It was reported that some users encounter the error “Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has Stopped Working” when trying to run one, several or all programs of Microsoft Office package. This problem occurs in several versions of Windows (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10), and it was confirmed that it occurs in several versions of Microsoft Office (2013, 2016, 2019).
What is the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper?
In Microsoft Office 2013, 2016 and 2019 BootStrappeer is responsible for initializing an application created using the library of composite applications. This relatively new technology is designed to simplify the dependencies required in the installation process.
The Reasons why the Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has Stopped Working
You can see that the Microsoft installation loader stopped working when trying to run Microsoft Office package programs, and the Microsoft installation loader stopped working for various reasons. I will list some of them below:
- Communication between the installer and MS servers is blocked by third-party anti-virus software.
- Registry keys or installation files are damaged.
- Conflict with IObit software.
- The task scheduler is disabled in the registry editor.
- The update process is interrupted by AppComparFlags.
- Office installation is incompatible with Windows version.
Use the Registry Editor
- Enter “regedit” without quotes in the “Open” field of the “Run” window.
- Click here on the left:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ AppCompatFlags
- At this point of the registry, as shown in the image above, right-click the AppCompatFlags section and select Export. Save this key as a registry file in a convenient place for your system backup. Now right-click the same key, i.e. H. AppCompatFlags, and select “Delete”.
- Now you can close the registry editor and reboot your computer.
Remove a third-party antivirus and LoBit software
The second method you can use for troubleshooting when the Microsoft installer stops working is to remove the third-party antivirus and loBit software if you have it installed. Here is a tutorial: http://windowsbulletin.com/fix-microsoft-setup-bootstrapper-has-stopped-working/
Step 1: Press the Win and R keys simultaneously to open the “Run” dialog box.
Step 2: Enter appwiz.cpl in the field and click OK.
Step 3: In the “Programs and Components” window, find the third-party antivirus software and loBit software and right-click to select “Delete”. Then follow the on-screen instructions to remove the software from your PC.
Step 4: Reboot your computer and run the application that prevented the Microsoft installer from running. Then check if the error is still present.
Using the Troubleshooting Tool when installing and uninstalling the program
- Download the program installer and troubleshooter from the Microsoft support site.
- Depending on your system type (32-bit or 64-bit), click “Download” to download the fix.
- For example, my system is 64-bit, so I chose to download X64. If you are using a 32-bit system, you should choose to boot X86.
- Now click to start the fix, and check the “Apply the fix automatically” box.
- Click Next to continue.
- Now wait for the Troubleshooter to detect all problems.
- Select the problem you encountered. For example, here we have a problem with the installation. Click Install.
- Wait until all problems with the installation are detected. When you are done, you will see a list of programs that have problems with the installation. Choose if it is on the list and click Next.
- If the program is not in the list, select “Not in the list” and click “Next”.
- You will then be asked if you want to remove the program or try other fixes. Choose as you wish.